Current Legal Issues
- On time: when prayer is performed on its prescribed time.
- The call for prayer.
- Most evident - a level of certainty in reaching a ruling
by a Mujtahid.
- Al waladu lilfirash:
- The born baby belongs to the bed where it was conceived.
- Afternoon prayer.
- Ba'adaz zawaal:
- After the disc of the sun descends towards the West. (See
- Invalid and unlawful, e.g. A contract becomes batil when
it does not satisfy the divine, practical laws of Islam.
- Noon or lunch-time prayer.
- Festivities marking the end of the fasting season, or
festivities of sacrifice after hajj.
- A unit of distance, equivalent to eleven kilometres.
- Religious edict.
- Redemption (from certain religious obligations by a
material donation or ritual act).
- Obligatory bathing that is required after certain acts or
- Sacrificial offering.
- The pilgrimage to Mekka undertaken according to the
prescribed ritual during the month of Thil Hijja.
- Hajjatul Islam:
- A Muslim's maiden pilgrimage to Mekka, that is obligatory
when you can afford the journey.
- Lawful for use, consumption, or to act upon.
- Haqqul ikhtisas:
- Unlawful or forbidden for use, consumption, or to act
- The Holy Precinct of Mekka.
- Haraj rafie' littakleef:
- An untenable situation that could waive the fulfilment of
certain religious obligations.
- Two years.
- Acts of worship.
- The special two-garment seamless attire worn by pilgrims.
Also, the state of ritual consecration during which the
pilgrim abstains from certain acts, such as not combing, not
shaving, and observing sexual continence.
- Ihtiyat luzumi:
- Obligatory precaution that must be followed.
- (lit. exertion) - the process of arriving at judgements on
points of religious law using reason and the principles of
jurisprudence (usul al-fiqh).
- Evening prayer.
- Problematic or grey area: Difficult to approve of or
- Undue menses.
- Recovery of money from the unbelievers.
- Places of the three stone slabs representing the devil, at
Mina. (See rami)
- Fee, charge, reward.
- Atonement or expiation: making repayment for some failure
to act, harm done to another, etc.
- A type of religious levy, equivalent to one fifth of
- Ma fith thimmah:
- Repayment of a debt: When prayer is performed to
compensate for unsaid ones.
- Sunset prayer.
- One's immediate relatives - according to a certain
classification detailed in Shari'a law.
- Majhoulil Malik:
- That whose owner is unknown.
- Makrooh (undesirable) act.
- Manasikul Hajj:
- Pilgrimage rites.
- Marji' pl. Maraji':
- (lit. reference point for emulation, or religious
authority) - A cleric who, through his knowledge and
probity, is qualified to be followed in all points of
religious practice and law by the generality of shiah
- A clergyman who has studied sufficiently and achieved the
level of competence necessary to interpret shari'a law (see
- Comopos mentis (The person obligated to observe the
precepts of religion).
- Mutual agreement between the Marji' or his agent and the
follower on matters of religious dues.
- A voluntary, and meritorious, act of worship. (See wajib -
- Absolutely, or under any circumstances.
- Ceremonially unclean: some things are inherently najis,
others can become najis through contact with an inherently
- Bleeding that occurs after childbirth, miscarriage, or
- Intention, i.e. to designate which prayer, or other act of
worship one is about to perform and that its sole purpose is
to seek nearness to Allah.
- Niyyah of qurbal mutlaqah:
- (The intention of prayer done with a view to seeking
nearness to Allah, i.e. without designating whether it is
adaa' or qadhaa').
- Recalcitrance (dislike, abhorrence) of a wife towards her
- In lieu : when a prayer is performed at a later time.
- A shortened form of prayer: A concession for a musafir (traveller)
to perform a two raka'a prayer instead of the full four
raka'a one (see tamam).
- The direction, of the Ka'ba, one must face while praying.
- The bowing act in a prayer.
- Throwing seven pebbles or small stones at Jamarat on Eid
day, the 11th and the 12th of Thil Hijjah. (See Jamarat).
- Risalah Amaliyah:
- Manual of articles of Islamic acts, usually published by a
- Legally prescribed alms tax.
- Seven laps of brisk walking between the mounts of Safa and
Marwah - an obligatory part of hajj.
- Religious law.
- Islamic or legal.
- Dawn prayer.
- The state of being ceremonially clean, the opposite of
- A full four-raka'a prayer. (See qasr).
- Foregoing one's right.
- The following, by a lay person, of a learned cleric (Mujtahid
) in matters of religious practice.
- Cutting one's hair, clipping one's moustache or beard, or
cutting off the nails - an act that heralds the exit from
the state of ihram.
- The point at the periphery of a town where, for example,
adhan could be heard.
- Circumambulation - Turning seven times around the Ka'ba.
- Tawafun Nisa':
- (lit., women's circumambulation) - an integral part of
hajj devotion, the performance of which and that of its
prayer heralds the return of sexual relations between man
- Thil Hijjah:
- The month of the Arabic lunar calendar during which hajj
- Scholars or doctors of religion.
- Lesser hajj, or visitation that can be performed at any
time, except the days of hajj in the month of Thil Hijjah.
- Umrah Mufradah:
- A type of lesser hajj.
- Umrah Tamattu':
- A visitation ritual that is obligatory before performing
- Generally accepted practice, custom, or usage.
- An obligatory act of worship. (See mustahab - a voluntary
- An act of ablution that is required before the performance
of certain actions.
- Devotional stay at Arafat, Mash'ar and Mina as part of
- The zenith of the sun, just before it declines towards the